Friday 28 December 2012

Music is going back to the source

In the early 90's, sans youtube, the only way to appreciate music was buy a tape, or a cd or go to a concert. It was a pretty nice experience. I'd buy a cd, read the sleeve, band bio, whatever while listening to the music. I had the occasional KERRANG mag, or rolling stone mag for additional info on the band. This may seem like I'm being nostalgic or sentimental, but the fact is, I don't miss this at all.

MP3's are killing album sales. Therefore, it is up to the artist or musician to make something worth listening to. Gone are the days when you'd have to buy an album just because there was this one song that you like or you'd wait for it to come out on the radio and tried to tape it OR best case scenario, hope that a friend buys it and just rip the track of them.

The idea of a "concept" album is lost on this generation. Its not a bad thing really. Most of the music out nowadays are based on singles....therefore, downloading a specific track. You get stars nowadays like Lady Gaga, Bieber, and Taylor Swift. Slam them if you like but these are albums that the general market wants to buy. They created an album worth buying. Something that you can listen to from the first track to the last.

The last time I heard something like that was probably schubert's trout quintet in A. Not very new music is it? Or ok, a bit more recent but still old is Guns and roses Appetite for destruction....hmm...Ok, a BIT MORE recent still is Death cab for cutie's plans.

Nowadays, its just me and my ipod. Music, and the source. No distracting album cover. All imagination. Once in a while youtube. I get to choose what I want to listen to and when.
Brilliant.





Delfi esfandi digs Bill evans, Chopin and whatever Oaks is listening to cuz she has all the cool music.

Xann loves Tori Amos.

Mong Loves My chemical romance and progressive metaL.

Sippy LOVES Ave Maria(schubert) and soothing classical music.