Monday 27 July 2009

Damn you Van Morrison

I had a bad dream last night. I was trying to figure out the chords to moondance along with the 13ths and sharp 5ths. In my dream I kept repeating the chords over and over again till I couldn't breathe and my chest hurt. I kept getting up, breathing hard going back to sleep and the dream keeps on playing like a crazy loop on auto repeat. I kept waking up and falling asleep and I'd still be stuck in the same dream. Gaz told me it was the birth of a genius, practicing while you sleep but it's more savant than anything else. The obsessiveness, the compulsion to do one thing and get it right above anything else. I'd rather be a little slow and enjoy the whole journey of practicing.

Today, I made the first step in getting my theory thing done. I got some basic workbooks from the first 4 grades. It makes for good practice and I managed to finish bout 5 chapters on the train. I've always been a firm believer in getting the basics right and down to pat before moving on.

I was having an interesting conversation on learning with Gazpachos. When you start learning something, (the piano, tennis, chess, whatever) its always easy in the beginning. There is what I see as a steep rise or curve which brings a certain sense of achievement and satisfaction to the student. However, the crucial part is the plateau. That is where many people give up and either feel its too boring, or they're not going anywhere or whatever when it is at this very point that you should be pushing the most. Knowing something and knowing something in depth...Big Difference. Who cares if you've been playing an instrument for 3 or 15 years if you only can play 1 song.

Progress matters. Its a human thing. We were built to continually learn, improve and better ourselves. I started the piano early in life but only took it seriously in 2004. Its a constant embarassment to see way younger kids being able to play better but I remind myself that it's all about bettering myself, the competition WITH myself. The Human spirit to grow, evolve, amazes me. My piano teacher once told me of one of his students who started taking lessons in her late 60's. Arthiritis and all, she would never miss a lesson.

I am 32 this year. Yes I have a diploma in Jazz performance... but honestly, I don't think I'm that good. My sightreading is quite rubbish, my chordwork is far from being at the back of my hands and my improvisational ability is shite. But, I am persistent and one day all that will change. That is my prized possesion. Even rocks break against the gentle flow of the stream, and mountains move for the one who has purpose in life.