Wednesday 25 June 2008

The best time to quit.

"You can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backward. "
-Steve Jobs.

I'm feeling bloody exasperated today. The kids I was teaching today really drove me up the wall. I am quite patient...I think. Things like these always gets me thinking. Maybe I'm too sensitive. I always feel like I'm a crappy teacher when I feel I don't get across to the kids. Maybe I'm taking it too seriously. Kids( and adults alike) will have their off days right? I don't know. A cigarette and planet telex gets me feeling better. I have some time on my own before I meet up with oaks for dinner. I love moments like these when I can just dream. At borders, I contemplate buying the best of Franz Liszt cd. I browse through some of his transcriptions which are ridiculously hard. I would sure like to pick up any book and play it just like that. Maybe I can compose some jingles? Maybe one day I'll have my own show. Maybe one day I'll teach in Sota. Maybe one day I can be a concert pianist playing my repertoire of bach and liszt.
In this quick info/communications world, maybe kids nowadays won't have the patience to sit and practice the piano for say 20mins a day. Or read. Or learn how to paint, or build something out of lego. These things take time. Learning how to kick a soccer ball takes time; and repetition. Doing something over and over again. Maybe kids nowadays don't get that and the world will be full of people in the future who will want Instant gratification in whatever they do. Why save? Lets get it now and pay by credit and installments. Maybe I"M JUST GENERALIZING. I hope I'm wrong. Back in the old days, the phrase, "sow now and reap later" meant more to people then. If I were to plant lets say an apple tree, I wouldn't expect to reap the fruits of my labour the next day right? It's the same thing with any other skill. You work at it, bit by bit, constantly, and then you see results maybe a few months down the road, or maybe a year or 2 or 3 OR more. I wanna do so many things in my life but I do realize that I have to connect the dots forward without fear. Who knows what's gonna happen tomorrow. The best I can do is to constantly do my best. Today. Not try...but Do. So after I get sick of all the screaming kids, worried that my sightreading will never be good enough, longing for the cat people to be a success, hoping for a job offer at some major institution, I realize that the best time to quit is only after I've succeeded. I'm gonna take it one day at a time....

No comments: